Monday, January 2, 2012

Spending Christmas and New Year in Japan

Christmas and New Year is a wonderful time to be around family and friends but this year I couldn't spend the holiday season with my family because I don't have enough money to go home for the holidays.

BUT, I did have a very wonderful celebration with some of the people (most of them EAP students).

I was trying to avoid the crowds for Christmas just because it's tiring having people shove you around on the streets when you are suppose to be sitting indoors somewhere warm with hot chocolate, marshmallows and lots of other delicious food.

Going to school from Hiyoshi to Tamachi, I pass by a river in between Osaki and Gotanda that is lighted up with pink and yellow Christmas lights during the holidays season. Then I thought what better time to go visit then Christmas.

So I spent Christmas at Denny's with Mas and Tim (two other UC students) before we started towards the Meguro river, only to find out they've turned off the lights by 10pm on Christmas eve. It's a cool place nonetheless and we ended drinking beer by the river, taking pictures at the fountain and seesaw near a hotel along the river.

I do recommend this place as a quiet romantic spot for dates because it's really nice, beautiful and serene. It's definitely better than the mad crowds in Shibuya, Shinjuku and Roppongi.

New Year's eve was a bit more crazy. I went to Zojoji where they were having a festival. It's pretty cool because you get to see the Tokyo Tower lit up in different colors than its usual orange and white. People also release balloons into the sky when we countdown to zero. It's quite exciting but it's also very damaging to the environment. (Sorry to be such a downer)

Then we went to Roppongi for some drinks and food. A bit overpriced but I highly recommend checking out the Turkish Kebab places on the streets. It's not very expensive just 500yen. But for the ladies, Roppongi can be intimidating because there are a lot of foreigners who think they can pick up any girls in Roppongi. I saw them harassing alot of women, trying to touch them and even kissing them. It was as if the men think they were all going to get some free sex from some drunk girl and were just random harassing women. This was quite disturbing to me which made me not want to go to the sketchy side of Roppongi. There's another side in Roppongi Hills that is for the rich people. They have nice Christmas lights there if you want to go there to check it out.

On New Year's Day, a few of us went to a club called Club Camelot. It is 6 minutes walk from Shibuya station and it was free for women and 1000yen for guys during Happy Hours.

Check out their page here for more info. http://www.clubcamelot.jp/

I think this is a far better club than the ones in Roppongi just because that clubbing district in Roppongi gives me the creeps. There are a lot of weirdos there and I don't think I want to be dancing there. I also recommend the gay clubs in Shinjuku (the gay district is 新宿二丁目 Shinjuku nichome). The clubs there feel really safe to me and people there just want to dance and have fun. I usually just prefer a place that is fun and safe. I really don't want men who keep trying to make sexual advances on us when we just want to dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment